calvarious

CALVARIUS (Latin): 1. a hard-headed skull, covering a searching mind, 2. an obscure hill outside the gates, 3. a holy place where suffering is transformed to generate hope and wholeness. Calvary UMC is the first reconciling church of the carolinas, full of various saints and sinners. Here are the tender-hearted and hard-headed, stubbornly seeking grace, growth, and goodness -- just outside the gates of Bible-belt religion, graced and grateful, helping God to mend the world.

Name:
Location: Durham, North Carolina

Friday, February 22, 2008

Letters From the Field: Lenten Letter No.2



Letters From the Field
Monday, February 18, 2008: Lenten Letter No.2

Love, Most Terrifying

“There is no fear in love;…perfect love casts out fear…fear involves torment…those who fear have not been made perfect in love…”
I John 4:18.

Wow! What a statement; what a standard! And yet, if I believe that this is the “Word of God, for the People of God,” I must accept -- and live by -- this amazing claim.

At first glance, I am inclined to sympathize with those people who walked away from Jesus when he declared, “my flesh is real food; my blood is real drink” (John 6:55, NIV). They were shocked and dismayed. “This is a hard teaching; who can accept it?” (Verses 60 and 66).

Yes, who indeed!

I don’t know how many people I have come across during my “short stay on this small planet” who complain that the teachings of Jesus of Nazareth are too difficult, too impractical. “Who in the world could possibly live up to so high a standard? Why, don’t you know that if you tried to live the way this man taught, you’d soon fall prey to every trickster you’d come across? You’d be gobbled up like a lamb in a lions’ den!”

Still, these are the things the “Man” from Galilee requires.

I suppose I could burden my readers with detailed descriptions and meanings of the word “perfect.” I will spare you, because you get what Jesus and his closest human associates were getting at: If this way of life is to make any useful impact in your life---and the lives of others---the followers of the Christ must totally commit themselves to the essence of his teaching; they must be totally overwhelmed and refashioned by love. As appealing as love sounds, such utter devotion is, to say the least, a terrifying prospect for most of us.

There is a funny thing about human nature. We seem to love ruts. Even when we sense our old routines are getting us nowhere, we are more comfortable staying put. A friend of mine once put it this way: instead of climbing out of our ruts, we upholster them to make them more comfortable! “What, leave my beautifully-decorated trench and climb up into a new way? You must be joking!”

Of course, a sea-change requires faith. That is something, however, that the “Master of the Sea” is more than willing to offer…BUT…ya gotta let go of your fear and take a big bite of that “flesh” and take a big gulp of that “blood.”

Since this is Lent, most people are thinking of not eating or drinking something.
Yet here is an invitation to do just the opposite. Gorge yourselves on love which is the active, outgoing concern for your neighbors as well as yourself. Drink to the full of the spirit of living sacrifice.

Oh yes, these forms of sustenance may seem a bit unusual, even frightening, but, as I’m finding out, this unusual food is most refreshing.

In my last letter, I hinted at trying a bit more transparency on for size. This project I’ve started forces me to give up being afraid and making a real attempt to be of service by sharing my thoughts and experiences. I know I’ve always wanted to try my hand at this sort of thing. Stepping out into the real world, away from the comforts and certainty of my parents’ care, put me full force into the stormy seas of adult life. For a long time, the cares of this world caused me to back away from boldness. It wasn’t always that way, though.

When I was a child of about six or seven, my father’s mother asked me what I wanted to do when I grew up. Without a moment’s hesitation, I declared, “When I get grown, I’m gonna have me a television show! And it’s gonna be called ‘Tell It Like It Is!’” Oh, to have that confidence again!

An honest peeling away of all facades will show a man who is often crippled by fears, worries and doubts. Yet my true Master has called me to take hold of a new confidence. No, I haven’t been offered a spot on television (at least, not yet). I have rather been offered an opportunity to use some of the spiritual gifts I have been given. And you know, what? This business of casting out my fear doesn’t taste as bad as I…uh…feared!

And, much to my surprise, that “ love most terrifying” is becoming slightly more comfortable. I can see more and more that I can trust in the One who inspired the Psalmist to write, “Oh taste and see that the LORD is good; blessed is the one who trusts in Him!” (Psalm 34:8)

Peace to you all,

W. Arthur Herring, Jr.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home